Consider the several different ways that natlangs punctuate quoted dialog.

"I'm speaking English," he said.
The dash used in Spanish.
«Wir gehen am Dienstag.»
„Das war damals in Berlin”

I came up with a different approach: bracket the NON-quoted portion of
the sentence, like this:

	I have been here three days, [continued Kantos Kan], but I have not
yet found where Dejah Thoris is imprisoned.
	I am unarmed and no enemy, [I hastened to explain].

Then syntactically the bracketed text can be treated as if it were a
prepositional phrase.

It could also be written with different style brackets:

	I have been here three days, <continued Kantos Kan>, but I have not
yet found where Dejah Thoris is imprisoned.
	I am unarmed and no enemy, <I hastened to explain>.

Any opinions?

--gary