Selpa'i wrote:
>The slots of a formative are named "Cr" or "Ca" or "Vr" etc. I read "Cr"
>to mean "any consonant followed by the letter r" and "Ca" as "any
>consonant followed by the vowel a" and "Vr" as "any vowel followed by
>r". But ... it can't be. You list "p_h" (aspirated p) as the root for
>"branched/leaved plant", and roots fill the "Cr" slot, but there is no r
>anywhere to be seen! Similarly, I am extremely confused where the "-l"
>ending comes from in p_hal "tree". The Ca slot should end in the vowel
>"a", but it doesn't. This type of confusion continues throughout all the
>slots...
>
>I'm am clearly missing something very important here. Could you please
>enlighten me?
>
>mu'o mi'e la selpa'i

The terms Cr, Ca, Vr, etcetera, are merely terms in a formula like in algebra.  The letters "r", "a", etc. should actually expressed as subscripts to make it more clear they're just forumulaic terms (but I got lazy doing my HTML to turn them into subscripts).  So "Cr" does not mean "any consonant followed by the consonant r" but rather "the root consonsantal form" which can be, for example, -p- or -ks- or -fkl- or -mstw-, etc.  "Vr" means the vowel associated with the root" and can be forms like -a- or -ei- or -io-, etc.  The term "Ca" is completely arbitrary and simply means the consonantal form that goes in Slot X of an Ithkuil formative and carries five morphemes (configuration, affiliation, perspective, extension, and essence), with forms as simple as -p- or -f- all the way to forms such as -rthw-.

--John Q.