2013/1/21 A. da Mek <[log in to unmask]>:
> I wonder whether anyone ever considered the opposite approach to the reform:
> not to write what is pronounced, but to pronounce what is written. In the
> Age of the Internet, there are more people knowing written English than
> spoken English.

The problem is "How to convince people to change how they speak?". It
sounds nearly impossible to me.

2013/1/21 James Kane <[log in to unmask]>:
> Well there already are spelling pronunciations that are incredibly
> common throughout English. I know very few people who pronounce
> 'forehead' as 'forrid', for example. This is a big problem with words
> that are often read but rarely heard;

BTW, many people in Brazil don't believe when I say that the usual
pronunciation of "recipe" is not something like /rəs'aip/. They can't
believe that it's /ˈrɛsɪpi/. "Just like we would pronounce it in
Portuguese?! No way!!! You know nothing about English!" In fact, in
br.PT it would be pronounced as /rɛs'ipi/.