De : Constructed Languages List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] De la
part de Nikolay Ivankov
Envoyé : mercredi 16 janvier 2013 22:39
À : [log in to unmask]
Objet : Re: Word Limit

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:33 PM, Sam Stutter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Would it count as an actual "word" then, or more of a syllable / morpheme
> / thingy? Each compound would surely be a word or... something.
>
> Sam Stutter
> "No e na'l cu barri"

I'll say in the language I understand. Take, say, English. The number of
sentences you can compose in English is 'countable', that is, we may have a
1-to-1 correspondence between English phrases and whole numbers. Now, a
translation from English to Xish would be saying the word X the number of
times that corresponds to the number of the sentence.

> On 16 Jan 2013, at 21:30, Nikolay Ivankov <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:02 PM, Patrick Dunn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >
> >> Well, you can't have just one.  You need at least two so you can have
> >> syntax, or it's not a language.
> >>

> > You can have compounds like XXXXXX of different lengths. Sort of unary
> > language.
> >

> >> A conlang is a model of a language.  How much detail does it need?  As
> much
> >> as you wish to give it.  A lot of conlangs only have a few hundred
> words.
> >> Others have thousands.  If you're aiming for a sense of naturalistic
> >> "completeness," then aim for in the tens of thousands, I suppose.  If
> >> you're aiming for usefulness, aim for a few thousand.
> >>
> >> But if conlanging is just a matter of counting words, well, that seems
> >> bit dull to me.
> >>

> >> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Mathieu Roy <[log in to unmask]

http://www.amazon.com/Second-Person-Patrick-Dunn/dp/1599249065/ref=sr_1_2?ie
=UTF8&qid=1324342341&sr=8-2