On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > That would be very interesting to explore.  I've
> > noticed that as Star Trek
> > went on Vulcan Logic became less a rationalist ideology and
> > more of a religion of sorts.
>
> Yes. In some respects, they might have been better off leaving it at a
> rationalist ideology or philosophy.
>
> > Vulcans always did have incorrect or unusual ideas as to what
> > was "logical" (look up the "Straw Vulcan" trope),
>
> Interesting indeed. I guess the real take away message there is "no culture
> is ever 100% perfect"!

I think part of it may be "not all writers know what rationality truly is"
mixed with "Vulcans are really just emotionless foils for humans" all
retconned and rationalized into the Vulcan religion of Logic.

> > and as their culture got fleshed out through the decades with rituals and
> > mythology it seems more and more that Vulcan Logic is very dogmatic and
> > is revered in a way that seems quite religious.
>
> Yep. Reactionary too, it seems. What with all the devastating wars and so
> forth and the near destruction of the planet and culture.

Granted, my understanding is that they nearly destroyed themselves *before*
they found Logic.

> Though it does strike me that when something like logic or reason is
> revered as if it were some kind of divine force, and its proponents (Surak
> and the like) venerated as saints or gods, it becomes less a flexible tool
> for sorting out the universe and more a set of predetermined and inflexible
> rules. Quite like how religion has evolved *here*!

Somewhat.  It is a little annoying

> > As such, it's hard to predict what they would do. Would they decide that
> > the "logical" course of action would be to keep their own language, just
> > out of pure pragmatism?  Would they iron out some irregularities and be
> > done with it?
>
> Dunno. Given the irrationality of Vulcan logic, almost anything could be
> seen as "logical" and defended as such.

This is true.  Realistically, though, I don't know how far Vulcan mental
training would get them as far as actually being able to ůse a loglang.
 From what I understand, they tend to be fiendishly hard to handle and
still communicate efficiently, leading to situations where most discussions
devolve into arguing over how to say what the speaker *really* means.

> > Or would the priesthood develop a loglang for themselves?  Lots of
> > interesting questions that we, unfortunately, can't answer, since
> > none of us get paid by Paramount to write about Vulcans.
>
> This is true. Now thát would be a job and a half! An interesting one, to
> be sure, but gargantuan as well. Take whatever is known of Vulcan (and
> indeed Romulan) language, culture, history and turn it into a unified and
> sensible whole...

It would be interesting.  I kind of hope that the reboot does some
development here.  Ironically, having most of the population wiped out
opens up lots of opportunities for stories focusing on Vulcans.