Yes, Diane Duane wrote that in the same passage she made her worst linguistic fluke… stating something along the lines of, by 'aging' Romulan
 away from Old Vulcan, both Modern Vulcan and Modern Romulan had moved as far away from each other as either Spanish and Basque have from their common (sic!) ancestor Latin… mega-cringe…
Dan