Hallo conlangers!

On Tuesday 15 January 2013 13:24:17 BPJ wrote:

> [...]
> On 2013-01-15 10:38, Roman Rausch wrote:
> [...]
> >> Even Tolkien bowed before this tendency when treating Westron masc -a
> >> names in his works.
> >
> > The vowel -a is never feminine in his languages, though. In fact,
> > Tolkien's Adûnaic (which has genders) shows the following: masc.: -u/ū,
> > -ō
> > fem.: -i/ī, -ē
> > common: -a/ā
> > neuter: mostly final consonants
> > The vowels -ē and -ō are later developments from diphthongs, originally
> > there was an a-i-u three-vowel system.
>
> When I 'reconstructed' his Old Norse-like Leikvian
> Elvish language I assumed an early change *-ē > *-ī and
> *-ō > *-ū before umlaut so that common designations
> ended up with a-umlaut, female designations ended up
> with i-umlaut and male designations ended up with u-
> umlaut, and at least the last is diametrically contrary
> to Old Norse, where u-umlaut is typical of PIE ā-stems.
>
> ͏            Sg.     Pl.
> ----------  ------  -------
> *eldā       Jald    Jaldar
> *eldē       Ild     Ildir
> *eldō       Jöld    Jöldur
> *khazda*    Hadd    Haddar
> *khazdē*    Hedd    Heddir
> *khazdō*    Hödd    Höddur
> *urkā       Ork     Orkar
> *urkē*      Yrk     Yrkir
> *urkō       Urk     Urkur

My conlang Old Albic uses basically the same vowels (but short;
they once were long) for gender derivations (a legacy of its
Tolkienian origins as "Nur-ellen"):

_Alba_ 'Elf, of either sex'
_Albo_ 'male Elf'
_Albe_ 'female Elf'
_Olbu_ 'a pair of Elves' (usually a male and a female)
_Elbi_ 'Elves'

Of course, the number markers now have an Indo-Uralic pedigree.
Dual -u is a cognate of IE *-h1 and U *-k, and plural -i is a
cognate of IE *-s and U *-t.  The gender vowels come from Proto-
Hesperic *-wa > -o and *-ja > -e.  (Proto-Hesperic had just
three vowels, */a i u/.)  I haven't found "cognates" of the
gender markers in either IE or Uralic yet, but similar forms
occur in Northeast Caucasian.

> [...]
> Today I'd certainly make it closer to actual Old Norse
> sound changes -- as Tolkien did in his correspondence charts
> for Leikvian of which I knew nothing then.  I at least had
> the good sense to rename my 'reconstruction' to "Leykvish".

Leikvian?  I am curious.  Where can I find information on those
exotic Quendian languages beyond Quenya, Sindarin, Telerin etc.?

--
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf