--- On Tue, 1/15/13, Jörg Rhiemeier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> From: Jörg Rhiemeier <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: [CONLANG] The quadrimorphic fabonigraph (was: human language origins)
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Date: Tuesday, January 15, 2013, 3:22 PM
> Hallo conlangers!
>
> On Tuesday 15 January 2013 02:44:38 Padraic Brown wrote:
>
> > --- On Mon, 1/14/13, Paul Schleitwiler, FCM <[log in to unmask]>
>
> wrote:
> > > Perhaps Neanderthals were too busy discussing
> their conjectures on the
> > > origin of language to be bothered innovating new
> stone tools.
> > > Or creating new forms of philosophy through dance,
> thus leaving no
> > > artifacts to show their superiority to H. Sap. in
> art and thought.
> >
> > Quite so! There is only one certainty we can have about
> such discussions
> > as this, with all its conjecture: we can never know,
> can never even more
> > than come up with the most hopeless of guesses about
> the reality of
> > Neanderthal language. Too far away in time and nothing
> against which to
> > compare.
> >
> > Barring a time machine or some of Joerg's Neanderthals
> living in the
> > Caucasus somewhere,
>
> Not really "my" Neanderthals, rather the cryptozoologists'.

Well, no of course not your personal Neanderthals! I don't know what the
official linguistical term is, but this is a genitive of hyperbolic
reference.

> I scrapped my plans for a Neanderthal language in the
> Caucasus because I felt I could not do them justice.

I have the feeling you're right about this. It's one thing to speculate
and dally in what-ifs, but I just don't think we know enough about them
or the way they thought to do the job.

> > Fizzlewynd's quadrimorphic fabonigraph
>
> A similar method ("acoustic recall") is mentioned in one of the dialogs
> in Douglas R. Hofstadter's _Gödel, Escher, Bach_,

Interesting! Having been so very easily sidetracked by the Introduction,
and then having to go listen to one of his majesty's sonatas, I finally
found reference to accoustic retrieval: "The name tells it all: it is the
retrieval of acoustic information from extremely complex sources. A
typical task of acoustico-retrieval is to reconstruct the soundwhich a
rock made on plummeting into a lake from the ripples which spread out over
the lake's surface." I should think the wind itself is a pretty complex
source! But you know what the old philosopher said: "the answer my friend
is blowin in the wind", and it's just a matter of sorting out how to
retrieve it!

There is also the (rather crackpottish) theories of homeopathy involving
"water memory" that I was thinking of in particular here. I hadn't heard
of acoustic retrieval before, so thanks for the tip in that direction!

> but in this world at least, it would be utterly monkeywrenched by
> Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, if I understand those matters
> correctly.  But Fizzlewynd's device may have exploited morphic
> resonances, or whatever.

Very probably. Morphic resonance appears in several places in what passes
for the science of the World. Blind Daine are often compensated with, apart
from various kinds of Other-sight, the ability to "see" the shadowy world
of morphic fields. Morphic resonance is an important fundamental of
reproductive biology: what with all the magic sloshing around, living
beings need some kind of force to ensure that the next generation ends up
being born the same species as the parents... Shows up in art too: anyone
who got a Christmas card from me for the exchange got a typical piece of
Auntimoanian representational art, which often depicts the "aura" or
"halo" or morphic field surrounding the person's existential node. Some
philosophers think it might result from all those subthaumic rays and
particles bouncing off of and interacting with the atomic (although they
don't know thát word!) forces within a massed body.

They're not that far from the truth. If one could visit the hellish world
down on the surface of Gea's solid core, they'd see the results of all
these interactions between matter and magic first hand -- all the living
beings composed of living metal whose sole existence is a function of
those very interactions. Well, that's quite a digression from someone
blaring Spumoni's "Ishatar's Maidens" into the wind and someone else
picking up and amplifying the music some miles distant with a "mekhanike
radion captivantes"!

Padraic