I don't see any specific reason not to take both. The Columbia U course
(the one I suggested) has a set start date; my main reason for suggesting
it. The Stanford course has yet to have its start date announced. Quite
likely one would be able to participate in both. They both recommend having
a decent grasp of certain mathematics fields, namely probability, calculus,
algorithms and discrete math (though they don't explicitly state that last
one). The Stanford course also suggests programming experience, and it has
programming exercises to complete. Neither course requires a textbook (par
for the Coursera course), but the Stanford one recommends some books. My
inherent cynicism flares at this point, in that the books they recommend
are written by the instructors. I have no idea if my cynicism is justified
though.

But again, assuming the two don't overlap in time, which they probably
won't, why not take both? You may end up covering the same material twice
once in a while, but multiple viewpoints on the same topic have often
helped me to better understand it.

If I were to be nailed down on answering "which one seems better and why?",
I'd have to say the Columbia U course. First, the syllabus seems to
indicate that it'll be covering more content. Second, it is also self
contained according to the description given, which is always a plus for
me. Just one of the Stanford course's recommended books is ~$115 on Amazon.
The other is ~$51.

That said, what's better for me, is not necessarily better for you. And...
I have by now posted more in the past couple days than I have in the last
year entirely, I think. I tend to just lurk.  :)