2013/1/23 Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]>:
> --- On Wed, 1/23/13, Leonardo Castro <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 2013/1/18 MorphemeAddict <[log in to unmask]>:
>>
>> One of the meanings (the primary one, now, I'd say) is that America is just
>> the USA. It's one part of the Americas, but USA and America are synonyms to
>> most people.
>>
>> stevo
>
> On Brazilian streets, although "americano" is usually synonym of "born
> in the USA", "América" is rarely "the USA" except for those who are
> clearly mimicking foreigners. The USA is simply "Estados Unidos", and
> very rarely "Estados Unidos da América" (I guess many non-educated
> because don't even know that there's the part "da América" in "Estados
> Unidos").
> =======================================
> I ran into that occasionally in Latin America, when I said I was "americano"-- a frequent reply was, "Well, sure, we're all Amereicans, but what country are you from?" and then I'd have to clarify, Estados Unidos or estadounidense.

I don't about Hyspanic America, but if I witnessed a Brazilian guy
speaking like this to an American (from the USA), I would probably
that he is an "anti-imperialist" person that understand what you mean
by "American" but want to convey the message "Why are you from USA so
arrogant? Why do you think that only you are Americans? This continent
is America and I'm American too!". Very frequently it's a thing of
envious people...

> (Personal note: before my trip to Latin America, where I spoke Spanish all the time [it was my college major]-- my proudest moment was one time at the gym in NYC when I spoke Spanish to a Puerto Rican guy, and he asked me what country I was from.)
>
> But IIRC the correct name of  Mexico is "Estados Unidos de México", but they don't call themselves "estadounidense" and neither does anyone else....

Brazil was once also "Estados Unidos do Brasil" and its flag was very
similar to that of the USA:
http://controversacao.blogspot.com.br/2009/12/e-ainda-dizem-que-nao-gostamos-dos-eua.html