Dear all,
I am an emergency physician from Melbourne, Australia, and we are in the process of setting up the "ground rules" for a new children's hospital.
It is a fantastic opportunity to start with a nearly blank canvas, and I would be very interested to hear from the group about two particular issues:
(1) Quality indicators / quality measures
- Which measures do you use for your emergency department?
- What measures are used to describe efficiency of the emergency department?
- What measures are used to describe quality of care delivery?
- Which measures provide meaningful information, and which ones seem to be collected "just for the sake of it"?
(2) "Front of house" / streaming
- We are currently running with a traditional model of nursing triage followed by medical assessment. However, there are many other models of care which appear to work (with varying degrees of success).
- How do you organise your patient flow?
- Do you use any of "physician at triage", "fast track or urgent care", greeters, concierge, or other ways of either streaming patients or "front-loading" care?
- What works well? What problems have you encountered?
I would be grateful to receive feedback from many different settings, and will happily collate responses and send them around to the group.
Thanks very much (in anticipation)
Simon
Simon Craig
Emergency Physician and Director of Emergency Medicine Training
Monash Medical Centre Paediatric Emergency Department

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html