Julia,
If I may... I would like to suggest that "grid load" status is a crucial part of situational awareness for all of us who work in the pediatric hospital setting.  Especially in the rural setting.  It is a bit... Unnerving when one finds out (while you are attempting to transfer a critically ill child) that an entire grid of your state's medical infrastructure has no PICU beds (!). This has happened to us in the last two winters.  We need a better system of anticipating and monitoring grid level capacity that is not just for ED staff.  We find ourselves managing patients differently under such conditions...
Jim Wilson, MD

Sent from my iPhone

                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html