  From: Christopher Kelly<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:20 AM
  Subject: Coding a Non-Ingestion

  Question for the group -

  We recently had a patient encounter where a young child was found with 2 small button batteries in his mouth, a third one missing.  He was completely assymptomatic.  The child was examined and had x-rays and luckily no battery was seen. My problem is the doc coded the patient as a well-child exam, a V-code, and the insurance company wont pay and now the family is stuck with a $1000 bill.

  My question is, how would you have coded this?  I found Foreign body entering through orifice - mouth (935.0), but didn't know of any other loop holes.  Parental anxiety, another V-code also doesnt help me out.

  Thanks,

  Chris Kelly MD
  Medical Director
  Pediatric Emergency Medicine
  New York Methodist Hospital

  For more information, send mail to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with the message: info PED-EM-L
  The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                   http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html<http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html>