On 6 February 2013 18:21, George Corley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I'm currently doing research for a project involving endangered languages,
> and one of the things I've been asked to research is universities in the US
> that have strong fieldwork programs.  Does anyone know of some good places
> I can look?
>
> I'm also exploring funding sources for a potential grant proposal on
> documenting endangered languages, as well as software to assist in
> documentation (heh!  We all know how hard it is to find a good dictionary
> database :P ).

Well, I don't know about good research universities, but your second
paragraph reminded me of a bit of good news. I think I mentioned
several months ago that I was applying for a grant to work on
lexicography software, and I just found out Monday that I actually got
the grant!
So, now I'm stuck with actually having to do the work.... It's a
little intimidating.
And then just this afternoon my boss told me he'd found this:
http://tshwanedje.com/tshwanelex/
Which kind of invalidates one of the claims in my grant proposal (that
something pretty much precisely like that doesn't exist), and leads me
to pondering why the heck I didn't know about it 6 months ago. It is
rather pricey, though, so there's certainly room for some
free-and-open-source systems to be developed in the same space.

I've also had several meetings with my boss recently on the subject of
developing a dictionary database to assist in all kinds of
pedagogically-oriented NLP tools, and have been simultaneously really
excited about the project and trying to convince him that its way more
work than we have the time or the payroll money for.

-l.