> thought the challenge was to translate the text as well, which would have made it more difficult, but it looks like they had translations
>into Quenya and Sindarin already.

Oh no, my mistake - they did translate it themselves. Then I stand in amazement of the degree of pervasion of Elvish in Saarland…

>The boy used "valin", which I discarded because Tolkien used it later with a meaning of "power" (cf : the Valar).

I'd do so too, for the same reason.

>Indeed, I can't agree with the use of "hary-" here as it means "possess"

This usage is actually attested in _merin sa haryalye alasse_. Well, probably... Look here:
http://www.elvish.org/elm/merin.html

>Yé haryuvanye mána melmenen
>Nai nauvan analassëa melmessë

That's at least two correct translations (although the latter doesn't seem to fit the metre..), so they'd win in my book. ;-)

On the radio, the guy sang Quenya _Nye óran valin melmesse_ where _or-_ should be an impersonal verb (and Quenya <y> should be pronounced [j], not [y]); and Sindarin _Ae boe nin alwed ni vereth_ (?) which I understand as 'I have to be happy at a feast'. :-) The girl I couldn't understand at all except for _heren_ 'fortune'.