On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 8:21 PM, George Corley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm currently doing research for a project involving endangered languages,
> and one of the things I've been asked to research is universities in the US
> that have strong fieldwork programs.  Does anyone know of some good places
> I can look?

I'm currently in the middle of the application cycle for linguistics
graduate programs, and given that fieldwork (and endangered language work)
is my personal top priority, this is a fairly familiar question!

The "top three" programs that everyone usually cites for this are:

* U Hawaii at Manoa – basically the home of the documentary linguistics
sub-field. Enormous support for endangered language documentation, both
from faculty and from other students.

* U Oregon – Lots of fieldwork, though some of the professors are
interested in it primarily as a means to get data for historical analysis.

* UC Santa Barbara – A department with a strong discourse-functional
theoretical outlook. While they very much see documentation as something
that's done primarily to support the broader science, they take the
attitude of document first, theorize later.

Depending on where in the world you're working and how
much generatively you can stomach, you've got a variety of other options.
If you're interested in southwestern American languages, U Arizona's a good
bet. Berkeley has a lot of support for native Californian (and West Coast
in general) languages. UT Austin is often cited, but I don't know much
about their program. Yale has Claire Bowern, who's beyond awesome, but the
rest of the department is very generativist and will want you to at least
do some work in that direction.

-Leland