On Monday 04 February 2013 22:00:52 Jeffrey Brown wrote:

> Yeah, the orthography of Sim-Arabic is sort of ugly. DIN 31635 (the
> transliteration standard of the Deutsche Morgenländische
> Gesellschaft) is a lot prettier - but it is not easier to use. It
> needs the following diacritics: macron above, macron below, dot
> above, dot below, caron above, breve below - and these special
> characters: right half ring, left half ring. It is a pain in the
> neck to type.

Surely it's just a question of getting your keyboard set up properly,
like:
Compose -a for ā
Compose _t for ṯ
Compose !t for ṭ
Compose cs for š
Compose bh for ḫ
L3Sh { for ʿ
L3Sh } for ʾ
Typing three keys for š is not much worse than typing sh, and I believe
that you can get compose-key emulation for Windows these days.

I've got everything including the kitchen sink set up here: ẖ ꜣ ƛ ʢ and
so on.