I've been considering this on Google+ - in Gawain and the Green Knight you'll find the words "louelokkest" and "comlokest" ("loveliest" and "comeliest"). What I've been trying to work out is *how* are these pronounced? Given that Gawain was written in either Cheshire or Staffordshire, I'm not sure to what degree pronunciation is believed to follow southern Middle English dialects. Given that I (Cheshire-dweller that I am) can read Gawain without much difficulty and people with very traditional Cheshire dialects find it almost entirely intelligible, I'm trying to imagine how an elderly Cheshire speaker might render the words "loveliest" and "comeliest".

I can't imagine any reason why they might say /kʊmlɒkest/ or /lʊvlɒkest/, or use /ʧ/, /ç/ or /x/ instead of /k/. I can only think of it as being some quirk of spelling (like the use of "qu" vs "wh", "ɜ", "þ" and "y"). Trying to imagine it, I can only hear /kʊmleɪst/ and /lʊvleɪst/. Of course, I might very well be getting the wrong end of the stick here.

I'm not sure to what degree Great Vowel Shift-age has happened here, but I'm happy with how the vowels sound, so that's not a worry.

Sam Stutter
"No e na'l cu barri"