On 2013-02-12 at 23:34:06 -0200, Leonardo Castro wrote:
> 2013/2/12 Sam Stutter <[log in to unmask]>:
> > Compared to the literature component of my degree (2 guys in a lecture of 50 people), linguistics was quite gender balanced (15 guys in a lecture of 50).
>
> The closer a field of study is to an "exact science", the fewer
> females will be there. This is what should be explained.

except for mathematics [1]_ , where in my experience the gender balance
is quite natural (~50%), but you can see a strong difference
in the further career choices: most females will either remain
in an university environment or will become teachers, males
are the ones who go out doing math in the "real world".

.. [1] and I believe physics, but I have less experience there.

To me it looks more like a matter of socially acceptable career choice
than one related to the exactness of science.

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''