As far as anecdotal evidence goes, I suspect there's an awful lot of people
who do some conlanging without really knowing anything about the broader
conlang community. When I was eleven, after I'd read Lord of the Rings and
learned about Tolkien's languages, I tried my hand at it... it was just an
English relex, but if that counts as a conlang in this context, I wouldn't
be surprised if quite a number of people did similar things. I just
happened to go on to discover the community and do more of it. At the time,
I had no idea anyone beyond Tolkien did it in any significant way--I didn't
even know about languages like Klingon in the beginning.

Of course, the problem with saying this is that it's impossible to count up
such "accidental" conlangers!