That's great. And less work for us to do, because in the next years I'll
be working on just that. (My professor of course sees this as a missed
chance for a publication of his own. He considers it well done.)

On 14.02.2013 02:25, Matthew Turnbull wrote:
> Thanks for pointing out this study, I read an article about it in Nature,
> but the link helped me actually find it. I'm not much for math, but it
> looks really cool. There is a part in the paper where they describe how to
> build a tree no? page 2 paragraph 7, or did I misunderstand that? Also they
> do a test where they do a random tree and the reconstruction fails
> considerably more, with only about 68% of words agreeing instead of 85%. It
> appears to be more affected by the size of the dataset than the tree, as
> shown in figure 1 A, no? (I understand the concepts here but not the actual
> implementation, so any help is appreciated if I've got this wrong). I
> couldn't find a link to the program, my guess is they will publish it with
> the paper if they do so, this is published ahead of print.
>
> -Matt
>

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 8:36 AM, Петр Кларк <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>          The BBC has an article (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-
>> environment-21427896) about computer reconstructions of proto-languages
>> (specifically Austronesian), with an 85% match with what linguists had
>> reconstructed "by hand". The full report is published in the Proceedings of
>> the National Academy of Science
>> (http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/02/05/1204678110) -- anyone have
>> access to it?
>>          I'm a little curious if they did any sort of checking for
>> accuracy; for
>> instance, inputing modern Romance langauges and seeing if the program spat
>> out
>> Latin.
>>          :Peter

Dr. Armin Buch                             [log in to unmask]
Zimmer 1.17, Blochbau (Wilhelmstr. 19)             Tel. 07071/29-73960
Seminar für Sprachwissenschaft
Universität Tübingen