On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:54:14 +0100
BPJ <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Interestingly there is evidence that there were some dialects of
> modern Greek, one of them that of Athens, where /y/ of whaever origin
> merged with /u/ instead of /i/ but apparently they all went extinct
> with the influx of eastern Greek refugees early in the 20th century.

That's Tsakonian in the Morea, not yet extinct. It's directly descended
from Doric. The Old Athenian dialect is a different matter. That died
out when Athens replaced Nafplio as the capital and was filled with
migrants from the Morea. If I remember correctly, OA was characterised
by /k/ > /č/ before front vowels, among other things.