On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Jörg Rhiemeier <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

[snip]

> such that many of those who could
> perform better do not enter them in the first place.

I imagine this is a significant factor.  I have noticed in the high school
band world that people playing instruments mostly dominated by the opposite
gender tend to be very good at them.  And I have always assumed that this
is because only someone who was truly passionate about that instrument
would overcome the gender stereotypes to play it.  And passion frequently
leads to success.

Probably not the end all, be all, but likely a significant piece of the
puzzle.

-Daniel