On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 18:00:24 -0500
Tim Smith <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> You haven't been mispronouncing it!  I've just looked in two print
> dictionaries (as opposed to online dictionaries), and they both show
> both pronunciations (although they both list the /Nk/ pronunciation
> first, indicating that it's "preferred" (but preferred by whom?)).

I've always said /konk/, but then I know the Latin concha and the
mathematicians' conchoid. My ancient copy of Jones (specifically RP)
lists /konč/ as rare and my (almost as ancient) Kenyon & Knott only
lists /konk ~ kank/. I suspect /conč/ is a modern spelling
pronunciation. The sense "person of low social status in Florida" was
(naturally) new to me: yet another word I'll never get the chance to
use!