On 14/03/2013 01:06, Tony Harris wrote:
> Interesting.  I had not really thought of it, though I
> do admit using the Union Jack for English has at times
> seemed a bit odd,

So it is.

> but they're right, few people outside the UK probably
> know of the actual flag of England itself.

Unless they're fans of football (both rugby and soccer
versions)         ;)

The flags of England, Great Britain and the United Kingdom
[of Great Britain and Northern Ireland] are all three different.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_England
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Great_Britain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom

> It is, perhaps, less of an issue using the flag of, say,
> Wales for Welsh as Welsh isn't really spoken much outside
> of Wales

Yes, sadly it seems to have more or less disappeared from
Patagonia (I would love to be proved wrong).

> and is pretty much identified with that one nation,

Except, of course, that nation has two official languages -
always a problem with those pesky bilingual nations  ;)

> but of course there are plenty of English-speaking
> residents of Wales who might also be less impressed.

Exactly so.
On 14/03/2013 01:56, George Corley wrote:
[snip]

> The idea that a nation and its language are synonymous
> is part of nationalism, which is a relatively recent
> development in the world.

Yes - and with IMO unfortunate results in some places - but
I'd better keep off that topic or we'll be going deep into
NCNC territory.

[snip]

> I most certainly agree with the original article.  I
> have seen solutions like combining the Union Jack with
> the US flag, but that really doesn't give you much, as so
> many other countries have English as an official
> language.

Yep - a bit insulting for the peoples of, say, Australia &
New Zealand.

> And the article didn't even cover cases where you want to
> represent a language that does not have official status,
> or at least isn't one of the major official languages of
> any entity with a flag.  You _might_ get away with a
> Scottish flag for Lowland Scots -- if you ignore Scottish
> Gaelic --

Ignore Scots Gaelic!!!  But it was the Gaelic-speaking
_Scoti_ from Ireland that gave their name to the country!

> but what are you going to do, exactly, with Inuktitut,

Use the Nunavut flag:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nunavut      :)

On 13/03/2013 23:47, Mathieu Roy wrote:
[snip]
> However, I'd like to have your opinion on creating a flag
> for a conlang (as well as creating other kinds of
> symbols).

Have a look at:
http://flagspot.net/flags/qy_plan.html

Fortunately Dr Outis lived before the pernicious
identification of flag and language, so it would not have
seemed right to him to have given his language a flag - nor
shall I do so.

It does not seem to me sensible to give flags to TAKE nor to
any of the various incarnation of my (probably to be
unfinished) briefscript project.

I guess if I develop the language I outlined a few days
back, then I'll maybe have to think about a flag:
http://www.carolandray.plus.com/Britannic/index.html

--
Ray
http://www.carolandray.plus.com