From: Doc Holiday <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 04/07/2013  1:01 AM  (GMT-06:00)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Our Future

So many factors...
- Lawyers driving care "standards"- Physicians paid more for doing more in the QUANTITY sense- Hospitals over-charging- Patients demanding "the best", which, in a money-based culture, is often only considered so if it is also the most costly
These have been mentioned. There are others:- PHYSICIANS driving care "standards"! The lawyers could never do the damage they do without the "help" of physicians who deliver lectures at conferences with titles such as "how not to get sued for X". It's a sort of a vicious cycle, with lawyers setting some standard which makes no sense, but then doctors teach other doctors how to meet this standard, so as not to be the one on whose skin it's tested to see whether it's illogical or not- Hospitals which are businesses. ANY business, as dictated by the laws of commerce which protect investors and share-holders, puts profit and commercial/financial success first. So it can't be healthcare first!- The word "customer" being used where the word "patient" should be used. We all know that the customer is always right, but a patient wouldn't be! All this "customer satisfaction" surveying going on... Healthcare need not necessarily be "satisfying". Why should we expect treatment to be satisfying when a diet does not necessarily have to be? A diet to control your weight may not satisfy you and be as tasty or enjoyable, but it's still what you need...- Can patients be blamed for demanding "the best" when politicians and health-care professionals state that American healthcare is "the best" while any statistician will tell you that one cannot really come up with a useful ranking system?
The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html