Dear all,

I am interested in learning more related to current policies within hospitals on how providers are credentialed to deliver nitrous oxide.

We are looking to develop some standards for our institution as nitrous is becoming an increasingly popular and useful adjunct for sedation in the ED, floors, sedation service etc....

So is this part of "sedation credentialing"  or is it separate?  If part, how is nitrous addressed in your policy?

If separate, what requirements are needed to be met for nitrous credentialing and/or re-credentialing?

Are these same requirements required of EM/PICU etc.. or is nitrous considered part of their core credentials?

Appreciate any info you can provide.   We have mid-levels and MD's that deliver nitrous, not RN's.

Mick

PS I have posted the same on the ped sedation listserv.. sorry if you are on both.

Mick Connors MD
Associate Director, Division of Pain Medicine
Connecticut Children's Medical Center
Assistant Professor, Pediatrics
University of Connecticut Health Science Center
860-837-5211

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html