sounds good to me...I wish I shared your confidence in our ability to influence the system and obtain the resources needed to take care of our patients.

Simon
>>> trzim29  04/04/13 12:06 PM >>>
When I say capitalize on this I mean prepare against erosion of volumes, to be prepared for what may be coming down the pipeline. As a medical director we have a duty to not only take care of sick children...that is a given...but we also need to understand the state of medicine and prepare for erosions and onslaughts per say. If your volumes dry up do you think you will have enough patients to support all of your docs who depend on the job you have given them? On the other hand...if Obamacare is a reality and we have scores of millions of more pt. encounters because primary care is inundated are you and your team capable of handling that?
As leaders of departments I do think we must take care of sick children...of course...but we also have a duty to understand the landscape into which we are entering and think ahead.
Respectfully,
Todd Z

-------- Original message --------
From: Simon Ros
Date: 04/04/2013  11:20 AM  (GMT-06:00)
To: [log in to unmask],[log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Our Future

call me old fashioned but I am here to take care of sick children and not " capitalize on this...". Having said that I have absolutely no doubt that 10 years from now we will remember today as " the good old days....".

Simon

>>> trzim29  04/04/13 11:13 AM >>>
How are we positioning ourselves looking toward the very near future with ACO development and Obamacare?
More insureds could mean more encounters. BUT, the future is pushing healthcare away from the hospitals into outpatient settings, ie urgent care, immediate care outpt. surgery centers etc...
This could be a real issue for er medicine.
Either inundation or drying up of patient encounters, depending on which actually takes precedence.
Either way...we are in for it...
The smart ones will capitalize on this.
Todd Zimmerman

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: