From: Pediatric Emergency Medicine Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Prater, Samuel J
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: sedation question

In the past, I have had to use single agents for this: Ketamine, Etomidate, or Pentobarb.

Although there is concern for myoclonus with Etomidate interfering with CT scan, when pushed slowly myoclonus no longer becomes a concern. Invariably, pt's will become apneic with etomidate or pentobarb, but hypoxia can be mitigated with good preoxygenation and the apneic oxygenation technique (high flow nasal cannula). I much prefer Etomidate over pentobarb due to its quicker onset and shorter duration.

Weingart, S and Levitan, R. Preoxygenation and prevention of desaturation during emergency airway management. Ann Emerg Med. 2012 Mar; 59(3):165-175.

Samuel J. Prater, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine The University of Texas Medical School at Houston Assistant Medical Director for Pediatric and Adult Trauma Memorial Hermann Hospital Emergency Center- Texas Medical Center
o: 713-500-7145