To complicate the issue: would you see and test the teen ager who shows up because he/she is worried about an STI although totally asymptomaric, and just wants to be checked
Note that in NY we are now mandated to recommend HIV screening to any child older than 13y
If you do, how do you handle billing?

Giora

On Apr 23, 2013, at 8:02 AM, "Marty Herman" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> If the kid is not emancipated and you can't reach a parent after medical screening determines there is not an emergency we tell them we can't see them. I have been that if you do without permission ( verbal telephonic or otherwise from a responsible adult) you may be charged with assault and battery, if the parent wants to press charges. you can't treat aminor witohut permission.unless there is a life or limb emergency..
>
> Marty
> Martin Herman, M.D.
>
> Pediatric Emergency Medicine
> Sacred Heart Children's Hospital
> Florida State University, Department of Pediatrics
> 5153 N. 9th Ave, 6th Floor Nemours Bldg
> Pensacola, FL 32504
> Ph: 850 416 7658(office)
> Email: [log in to unmask]
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
> This email message and any accompanying data or files is confidential and may contain privileged information intended only for the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that the dissemination, distribution, and or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at the email address above, delete this email from your computer, and destroy any copies in any form immediately. Receipt by anyone other than the named recipient(s) is not a waiver of any attorney-client, work product, or other applicable privilege.
>

>> Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 12:53:02 -0400
>> From: [log in to unmask]
>> Subject: mature minors
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>>

>>  How does everyone approach the under 18 year old who comes to the ED alone for a problem that is not covered by the usual confidentiality exceptions (ie STD care)?
>>
>>  Assuming you have done the required medical screening exam and have determined that there is not an immediate emergency, and that the parents are not available, do you refuse to provide any treatment at that point?  Do you document that you tried to contact the parents and then provide care (ie-pain management for a toothache, antibiotics for a minor infection, etc.)  (Let's assume the patient is over the age of 16).
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Angela M. Tangredi, MD
>> St. Luke's/Roosevelt Hospital Center
>> NYC
>>
>> This message and any attachments are confidential and intended solely
>> for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed.  If
>> you are not the intended recipient, you are prohibited from printing,
>> copying, forwarding, saving, or otherwise using or relying upon them in
>> any manner.  Please notify the sender immediately if you have received
>> this message by mistake and delete it from your system.
>>
>> For more information, send mail to [log in to unmask] with the message: info PED-EM-L
> [...]

This e-mail has been scanned by McAfee Managed Email Content Service.  To report
any issues regarding e-mail SPAM ONLY, please call the Helpdesk at