Indeed, the contributors to this document have produced a detailed
mapping, which has been largely implemented in the MARC-to-TEI (but not
TEI-to-MARC) direction in http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/Thutmose .

However, Mark's idea of appropriating the global @n attribute to store a
MARC field is an intriguing one.  It certainly makes it easy to map from
TEI to MARC, though it assumes that there is always a one-to-one mapping
of elements to MARC fields, and that the @n attribute isn't needed for
another purpose in the header.  Even without re-familiarizing myself
with the mapping, I can imagine both of these situations occurring.

Kevin