I don't understand your questions. What do you mean if nightstand is somehow
integrated into the meaning?

-----Original Message-----
From: Constructed Languages List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of George Corley
Sent: Sunday, April 21, 2013 10:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Portmanteaus for a Conlang

Any derivational process you find in a natural language (including English)
is fair game to put in your conlang.  It's more important how exactly your
portmanteaus will work, and how broad they will be.  The example you gave
could be analyzed as not even being a portmanteau (unless, of course, the
meaning of _nightstand_ is somehow integrated into the meaning).  Is this
the extent to which you want to do portmanteau, or are you planning more
radical sound blending as in the word labradoodle (derived from labrador
and poodle).