On 25/04/2013 12:11, Roger Mills wrote:
[snip]

> Just to throw my spaniard into the works, why are the
> inhabitants of Cambridge (Engl. and Massachusetts)
> called "Cantabrigians"????

 From _Cantabrigia_, a medieval Latin name for Cambridge UK.
  It was formed from Middle English _Cantebrigge_.

The Old English name was _Grantebrycge_ - bridge on the
River _Grante_.  The old name of the river is perpetuated in
the Grantchester, a village in Cambridgeshire, England, made
famous by Rupert Brook in his poem "The Old Vicarage,
Grantchester."

Why the the Old English Grante- changed to Cante- in the
place name is not clear. But it seems that the name of the
river was similarly changed.  It is now the Cam.

AFAIK there is no river named Cam that flows through
Cambridge MA; so I guess that makes Cambridge in MA a single
morpheme, while Cambridge UK is still fairly obviously 'Cam
bridge.'       :)

--
Ray