Well, in Kash "not" is _ta_ (tak before a vowel)  and "zero" happens to be derived: _tanda_ < ta+N+ta. This was deliberate on my part :-)  "No" (opposite of "yes") is also related, _tayi_

--- On Fri, 5/17/13, Leonardo Castro <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Leonardo Castro <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: No = zero ?
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, May 17, 2013, 4:05 PM

While developing a new conlang, I came to the question of whether or
not the words "no" and "zero" can be the same word (when "zero" is not
refering to the number per se) or if there are subtle logical
distinctions between these concepts.

Do you feel that the sentences in the following pairs have different senses ? :

"No car was sold."
"Zero car was sol."

"Nothing happens." (~ "No thing happens.")
"Zero thing happens."

"No one knows that day and hour."
"Zero one (person) knows that day and hour."

---

If there's absolutely no difference, shouldn't "zero" be called "no"
in some languages? And is there need to have both the adverb and the
number?

Naturally, zero is important in the positional notation of numbers,
but maybe it only means "nothing in this position" so that it's again
equivalent to "no".

Até mais!

Leonardo