--- On Tue, 5/28/13, Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> What does it mean, you mean? I'm confused by your question.

Well, then, I guess that now makes four of us who are confused about this
same point!

> The last descendants want Silknish to become a living language to

If there is already a speaking community (or network, or whatever), then
the language is in fact a living language already.

> increase the current vocabulary, so that unnamed items, like an unknown
> disease can use Silknish root forms, as the diseases and medical terms
> have
> those, and they feel that giving a new diseas or medical
> term or instrument has a Yardish root form, it would change
> the meaning.

Huh? How so? Why would they change the meaning, if the meaning is some
medical term? For example, we got croup from Scots (or leastways, we
borrowed the word "croup" from Scots, dunno if we got the disease from
them or not!). When we borrowed this word, we seem to have only taken
the medical term -- an infectious disease of the larynx which causes
difficulty in beathing. We didn't take the other throaty meanings of
"croop" in Scots, such as croak or speak hoarsely or murmur.

I should think that if Silknish is down to a small handful of speakers,
they would have more problems on their hands than creating words for
rare diseases or bizarre surgical instruments. Unless of course, all the
speakers of Silknish work in the same hospital, and then it might be
a nice idea for them to coin a Silknish word for "Bogdaz carapace spreader"
where there is none now.

> For examplele, the root form `t#c%%h$e which means frost, as in
> frostbite, would change to fever is spelled tche, which wouldn't work
> with bite.

We still don't know what all those characters boil down to...

Padraic