On 5/29/2013 10:26 AM, H. S. Teoh wrote:

>> represent /dʒ/, which exists in some conservative dialects. But
>> there's nothing much wrong with<dž>, and I'd need a new spelling
>> for /ɨ/, which I'm currently writing as<y>.
>
> /ɨ/ as<y>? Sounds like Russian transcription. ;-)

It's also apparently used in Guaraní. But it seems like the most obvious
way to write /ɨ/.

> What about<jh>  for
> /dʒ/? Or is that ambiguous with something else?

I think it's likely to be mispronounced /ʒ/. It could also be useful for
a voiceless /j/, if I need one.

>> 5. Double letters for long vowels. This would be reasonable, but
>> Tirelat actually uses a letter to mark long vowels in its native
>> alphabet, and<h>  seems like the best way to spell this character in
>> a romanized version.
> [...]
>
> What about a macron accent? Like ā for long a, etc.. That way you'd free
> up<h>  for other uses.

I don't much like the look of <ë̄> for a long version of <ë> (in some
fonts you can't even tell that it's got stacked diacritics). Of course,
I could use <ǝ> (U+01DD) or <ə> (U+0259). (Lowercase look the same, but
they have different capitals, <Ǝ> and <Ə>.) With a macron that would be
<ǝ̄> and <ə̄>.

Acute and circumflex accents could be other options for long vowels: