> Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 14:46:05 +0100
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: THEORY: How to be beautiful?
> To: [log in to unmask]

> I wouldn't even say stereotypical London accent - I think the majority of Americans think of two British accents "posh British" (almost Received Pronunciation) and "cockney", plus maybe "Scottish" if they get their geography right.

> With Britain being associated with the established and urbane through the C19th, RP had good reason to be though of as conferring respectability and intelligence. The association would have died if it had not been for the continued influence of British pop-culture and the UK "brand" that we literally "sell" abroad :)

For British posh, please keep sending us the Helen Mirren, Colin Firth, Hugh Grant-y types. But British pop-culture? Adele may croon divinely (again, if you like that sort of thing), but in interview she sounds like any ol' slag you'd pick up at last call. And microphones stuck in the faces of Londoners for average Reginald-on-the-Street reactions to current events hardly ring RP or posh. Nor charming chimney sweeps, either.

Kou