Ah, we can't control the vagaries of the press and their bizarre obsession with chimney sweeps and horrible people from Essex. If we had our way you'd think the country was full of James Bond and Lancashire steel workers. Even James Callis (of Battlestar Galactica) tried to do his bit for the cause, eschewing a directional demand to do "a Michael Caine" in order to do something more Yorkshire-ish. His attempt at bringing a Bristol accent to US TV did not go down well with the director :)

Then again, there's a masochistic humour in watching Americans completely fail to understand the presence of accents beyond Colin Firth and chimney sweeps. It's almost a let down when you get it right. That Simpsons episode the other day wouldn't have been quite so funny if "the prime minister's girlfriend" wasn't a cockney sparrow whose accent grated with Benedict Cumberbatch's impersonation of Hugh Grant. We all _know_ that's how you think of us. And who _doesn't_ want to be mistaken for Benedict Cumberbatch?

Sam Stutter
"No e na'l cu barri"