From: Constructed Languages List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alex Fink
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 9:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Dieing Languages

On Thu, 30 May 2013 00:10:25 -0700, Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I think the first question was how do fever bite and frostbite match up,
>they don't match up. The Silknish speakers feel that trying to create
>medical roots or any other Silknish word root with a Yardish suffix will
>create an unmatched word like fever bite.

Ah, you've got a good idea at the kernel of this.  The Silknish speakers, I infer, have strong ideas about the purity of their language, and will not condone the use of Yardish suffixes with Silknish words because that would sully the purity.  What is their position on borrowings of whole words from Yardish into Silknish?  On code-switching from Silknish into Yardish?

At the same time, your use of the "fever bite vs. frostbite" example seems questionable.  English happens to make the word "frostbite" up out of "frost" and "bite", but you should see this as accidental!  There is nothing intrinsic about the medical condition frostbite that means all languages have to express it as "frost" plus "bite"; languages unrelated to English, like Yardish, should probably express it differently.  (Indeed, I checked Wiktionary.  Among the other natural languages there which had translations of "frostbite", most of them were much less evocative: their words were mostly just analogous to "freezing" or "frostage" or that kind of thing.)
Similarly but on the other hand, there is no law that says that a compound of the words "fever" and "bite" has to be meaningless.  Maybe the Yardish compound of "fever" and "bite" does mean something: maybe it means "burn", the skin injury? or a kind of bug whose bite gives you a fever? or ...?

Alex