----- Original Message -----
On Tue, 28 May 2013 21:13:23 -0400, Herman Miller wrote:

>The obvious fix is to use <kh> for the /x/ sound. It could be mistaken for
>/k.h/ as in "backhand" or "sinkhole", but not much else, and Tirelat
>doesn't have an /h/ sound. Plus it gives me an excuse to write <gh> for
>/ɣ/. I've never much liked <ġ> or <ğ>, or any of the alternatives like
><ƣ> ("gha", U+01A3).

I've never bothered to look up the history of that curiously misnamed
character before. Blackletter hand ⟨q⟩, go figure!

--
grüess
mach

From Wikipedia:

"Historically, it is derived from a handwritten form of the small Latin letter q, around 1900. The majuscule is then based on the minuscule. Its use for [ɣ] stems from the linguistic tradition of representing such sounds (and similars) by q in Turkic languages and in transcriptions of Arabic or Persian (compare kaf and qof).

"In alphabetical order, it comes between G and H."

The two graphemes are so similar I can't see what difference it makes which one is used, unless one wants to put some "foreign flavor" into one's orthography.

Charlie