>> There is a distinction between 'how do you say X in LANGUAGE' and 'what
>> does this word mean'. It looks like you are asking for the latter. The
>> former would be expressed in French by (I think) 'comment se dit X' as in
>> 'comment se dit 'refrigerator' en français?' rather than 'qu'est-ce que le
>> mot 'frigo' veut dire en anglais?'.
> Quick correction: "How do you say X in LANGUAGE?" in French would be
> "Comment est-ce qu'on dit X en LANGUE ?", with the impersonal "on" rather
> than a reflexive. The reflexive sounds nearly like X is trying to say
> itself!

I have always been taught 'comment se dit X'. I think Spanish also uses a reflexive construction, 'como se dice'. Your way sounds quite formal, although I'm not fluent though so I am probably wrong.

Come to think of, 'qu'est-ce que le mot X veut dire en LANGUE' sounds a bit formal as well, maybe 'que veut dire X en LANGUE' might be more conversational.

James