--- On Fri, 5/31/13, Roman Rausch <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I don't quite grasp why it so often substitutes for the /t/ sound, though.  Why the sound change?

Perhaps because it requires less energy - you don't have to move your tongue up and down.

And maybe because /t/ is one of the most common final consonants? (thus, low functional load?)  And can occur in a variety of -tC- clusters?  It is odd that other final stops in clusters don't reduce > [?] like /t/ does.

And it could be an old habit inherited from our cousins across the pond.....???? (How long has it been going on over there?)