> Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 09:50:07 -0700
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: THEORY: How to be beautiful?
> To: [log in to unmask]

> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 08:11:41AM -0300, Leonardo Castro wrote:
> > What makes a language be considered beautiful?

> And despite being a native speaker of Mandarin and Hokkien, I find
> neither of them very appealing at all. I find Mandarin rather
> pretentious, and Hokkien positively vulgar.

Cantonese always gets the bad rap (the "airline peanuts" of Chinese dialects ("Whaaat is uuup with that?!")), but for my money, Min sounds like people are constantly, pardon my French, bitching each other out. Maybe it's the falling quality of the "shang" tones. Maybe it's the nasals which, as I've heard them, are not the mellifluous French variety, if you like that sort of thing, but *really* nasal.

> And on that note, I
> disagree that vowels are beautiful and fricatives are ugly. I don't like
> most vowels, but maybe excepting [y] (the
> rounded high front vowel -- a beautiful sound), but fricatives and
> consonant clusters make me all warm and snuggly inside.

> My perceptions are likely very contrary to popular opinion, but I'm
> totally fine with that. :)

Luuuuuuuke, come over to the dark side, Géarthnuns awaits thee, Luuuuuuke... :)

Kou