On Mon, 3 Jun 2013 12:16:05 -0500, George Corley wrote:

>On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Daniel Myers wrote:

An important difference between the evolution of Latin vernaculars into
Romance languages and a future evolution of English varieties into Anglic
languages is the presence of mass media. I think they have a leveling effect,
while widespread literacy has a conserving effect.

Even if there were a sudden drop in mass media and literacy, the written
language might stay the same for many centuries, and literate Anglic speakers
would still consider their own language to be English, even though they'd
know it is quite different from vulgar Anglic. I think.

--
grĂ¼ess
mach