Re polite vs. familiar forms

IN HS Spanish, we _never_ used (though we were taught to recognize them) the familiar 2d pers. forms of verb; it was always Usted + 3d pers.  I had an early trip to Spain, where it was mostly Usted, but I did manage to use tú with certain ladies I met....

Then in college, quite a bit later, we of course used Usted with the faculty, but I at least used it with fellow-students (some of whom were Hispanophones). No one protested, but then I was rather distant from most of my cohort (since I was several years older).

Then in  1967 I made a trip to Latin America. First stop, Lima Peru. Some of it was business, so that was Usted. But on my flight from Lima to Cuzco, I started chatting with the young woman in the next seat, and she _immediately_ used tú with me. I tell you, I was shocked!! But it turned out, that is now very common.

Argentina has solved the tú/Usted problem by using neither-- rather, they use vos, with a deformed 2d plur. form e.g. vos amas, ¿qué pensás vos?  etc. The plural however is Ustedes + 3pl.

For Indonesian, our textbook (and native speaker instructors) taught us Saudara [so'dara] as the polite generic 2d pers., (with barely a mention of kamu or enkau, the familiar forms). Saudara is a Sanskrit word, mng. 'brother'-- it may have been a holdover from the pinko-leftist days of Sukarno.

Now when I look at Indonesian websites etc., Saudara is utterly absent, but I haven't been able to figure out what has taken its place. I certainly hope not "anda" (which I've seen on-line) but which always struck me as terribly mush-mouthed and officialese.