On 2013-06-25 at 16:55:17 -0700, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Another data point: my wife always writes emails in all lowercase, even
> though she doesn't do that in handwriting. I find it rather jarring, but
> OTOH it's not hard to read at all. In fact, it has a more informal feel
> to it than a Properly Capitalized message.

I am guilty of that, too: when writing emails I tend to forget about
capitalizing the first letter of a paragraph. I don't think that
legibility suffers from it because in emails paragraphs are divided
by a full empty line, not just a bit of indenting. Most of the times
I do capitalize the first letter of a mid-paragraph sentence,
there there are no additional clues except for punctuation.

I suspect that this is also my brain telling me that emails are
a bit closer to conversation than other written material,
expecially when answering inline-quoted messages:
the first paragraph after an inline quote is the one that
I capitalize less often.

on the other hand, I usually capitalize personal nouns, except sometimes
for geographical derived ones, mostly because my natlang doesn't
capitalize them, and I forget about it.
I also capitalize Is, maybe because I find it an innatural thing
to do (my natlang has a tendency to capitalize "you"s in formal /
outdated styles, to mark respect) and I had to force myself to
learn it. The fact that in handwriting I use different shapes
for I as 1st person and I and capitalized i in any other word
may be related to it.

Returning to one of the original subjects of the thread, romanization of
conlangs that have no capital distinction in their native scripts,
IMHO an early reason to adopt a romanization is not helping the
reader but helping the writer: entering latin characters on a computer
is much easier than writing a custom font + keyboard map / entry
method for a conscript.

In this case, I believe it is quite natural to choose romanization
conventions that follow a bit more closely the ones of a native script,
and capitalization sounds like the first english convention
to lose.

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''