On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 07:42:27PM -0700, Padraic Brown wrote:
> > From: H. S. Teoh <[log in to unmask]>
>

> >>  > I rather like Ebisédian's convention of what amounts to
> >>  > capitalizing the _end_ of sentences, an influence which I plan
> >>  > to adopt in Tatari Faran, which is also big in the department of
> >>  > marking the end rather than the beginning.
> >>
> >>  Oo, now that I like! Are they big on the endings of things in
> >>  general?  i'ld hazard the guess that they don't also use the
> >>  equivalent of an endstoP what with there being a differentiated
> >>  letterform to do the joB
> >
> > yeaHtheYhavEworDfinaLcapitalizatioNsOtheYneeDnOinterworD
> > spaceSoRendstoPsincEtheYhavEAprominenTenDoFSentencEmar*K*
> > anDyeaHtheYbreaKlineSliterallYanywherEeveNiNthEmiddlEoFAw
> > or*D*
> >
> > Well, that's Ebisédian for ya. :-P
>
> Oh dearie me! That's mùch worse than I had at first feared! :P

Yes, this ìs Ebisédian we're talking about. ;-) Now you know one of the
reasons (albeit only a rather minor one) I shelved it.

> I hope you realise how disconcerting that is! The eye naturally wants
> to read that as "Hthe Yhav Ewor Dfina Lcapitalizatio Ns Othe Ynee..."

It's camelCasing, subverted. Take that, Java! :-P :-P

> > Tatari Faran is a tad tamer, but they do have a penchant for
> > "end-marking". Postpositions, case clitics that terminate NPs,
> > adverbs that follow verbs, finalizers that terminate clauses,
> > y'know, the works.
>
> Interesting. Talarian is similarly end-oriented, but even so they like
> their fancy initial letters/syllable-signs/glyphs.

I've still yet to find enough time to sit down and work out TF's writing
system in full. Thanks to some recent discussion here on the list, I
think I've got the general mechanisms nailed down, but a system without
any concrete glyphs is râther difficult to use, one might say.  Be that
as it may, I've decided that due to the inherently vertical nature of
the writing, instead of diacritics there will be left-critics and
right-critics (dextrocritics and aristerocritics, if you're into
aristocratic names), much like leaves on either side of a tree trunk.
Since it's an abugida-type system, the main (trunk) glyphs represent
consonants, and are very horizontal: very wide, and rather low, thus
amenable to vertical stacking. Word-final glyphs will probably be marked
with some kind of decoration, perhaps a ligature of some sort.
Clause-final glyphs will have either a more elaborate form of the glyph,
or use a kind of dedicated end-of-sentence glyph (most likely merged
into a ligature with the last consonant).  Vowels and syllabic codas
will be marked with dextro-/aristero-critics of various forms.

I imagine these glyphs carved onto stripped tree trunks or painted on
pillars or doorposts, probably a single line of large writing per trunk,
maybe a few lines down a wall.  I haven't decided how longer texts or
more practical texts would be written; maybe for more practical writings
they'd use charcoal on stone tablets or wooden pads (they haven't
invented paper yet). The writing painted on walls and pillars would be
more elaborate, of course, a direct descendent of the pictographs from
which TF writing recently emerged. The hand-written stuff would be
greatly simplified, but retain the more elaborate pictographs as
convenient variants for word- and clause-endings.

> >>  Poor dear!
> >
> > Yes I'm a poor ickle thing. :-P
>
> O/O==::c
>
> [cue violins]

I prefer violas, they sound more melancholy. :-P

> >>  >>  I also capitalise for emphasis.
> >>  >
> >>  > Really? I thought you usually áccented for èmphasis.
> >>
> >>  The bloody Cheek. I can put Capitals if i bloody well Like to!
> > [...]
> >
> > Wèll, Î shoǔld thínk sò!
>
> ℞íğĥţ! þàťş śòřţēď!
[...]

Whoa.  Now rotate that 90° and stand it on its end, squash it a little
so the glyphs flatten out, and you'll get a rough idea of what Tatari
Faran writing might look like.  :-P

There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.