2013-06-21 17:31, R A Brown skrev:
> On 21/06/2013 15:30, Michael Everson wrote:
>> On 17 Jun 2013, at 01:27, Larry Sulky
>> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> All my conlangs -- Konya, Lume, Elomi, and Qakwan, use
>>> capitalisation only on proper names.
>>
>> And why wouldn't you help your readers navigate a
>> paragraph by beginning sentences with capital letters?
>>

> When I learnt Classical Greek very many moons ago (How many
> moons in 69 and a bit years?) I discovered this convention.
>   I do not ever recall finding the lack of capital latter at
> the beginning of a sentence to be a hindrance in reading.
>
> On the other hand, knowing that if I met a capital I had a
> proper name was a great help - for a start, it saved
> rummaging through the dictionary.
>
> I have read Latin texts printed with the same conventions
> and never found a problem.

Indeed.  I seldom use capitals when texting and nobody has
complained so far!

The only *slight* inconvenience is that the period is used both
as a sentence separator and as an abbreviation mark, and sentence-
initial capitalization sometimes serves to disambiguate that.
However the *real* problem is our writing system's failure to
develop a dedicated abbreviation sign. I always found the
existence of one in Devanagari very sensible, and have an
equivalent in my conscripts. Unfortunately one can't easily
import the Devanagari abbr° mark into western writing systems, as
it coincides in shape with the degree sign of the western
tradition. Of course it would only take a single mark extra to
mark proper names as such too, rather than having two variants of
each letter of the ¤latin alphabet, but then again most scripts
do fine without any such indication.

/bpj