> Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 23:06:37 -0500
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: writing (almost) entirely in lower-case letters
> To: [log in to unmask]

> And a further question ( :P ) - for people with IE-esque conlangs where
> case morphology is largely inalienable from nouns, are foreign names
> uninflectable or are they wedged somehow into the case system? (cf Latin
> vs. Ancient Greek - Latin tries to jam them in (hence 'Confucius',
> 'Gustavus', etc.), while Greek just leaves them alone (Ισραήλ and so on).)

Goodness, "wedging" and "jamming" are such violent words. In Géarthnuns, if an incomer doesn't slide into the jacuzzi ("Israel" would do just fine as "Ísraéls"), we gently massage a suffix onto the end: Kong(fu)dzöbauths (for people) (Confucius); Zhönevsars (for places) (Geneva); gathpacholats (for things) (gazpacho). For people, sometimes a title will cover it: Obama Alüdlers (President Obama). For places, sometimes the geographic feature will do (as in other langs): Dedongsfaiers (Taedong River). Nary a shoehorn or hammer in sight.

Kou