On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Leonardo Castro <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> I have a similar question in my conlang. As it is designed to be
> simple, I initially chose to include only the following consonants:
>
>                   labial - coronal - guttural
> stop              p             t            k
> fricative         f             s            h
> nasal            m            n
> lateral                           l
>
> By guttural I mean everything "back" in the oral cavity. The only
> reason to exclude /N/ is that I thought that it is possible more
> difficult to pronounce than the others (more probably in the beginning
> of syllables), but I'm not sure about that.
>

> Até mais!
>
> Leonardo

this is certainly not strange at all. in fact from a typological standpoint
it's a lot weirder to *have* /N/, for whatever reason.

all the languages that *do* have /N/ seem to either develop it from /ng/ >
[Ng] > /N/ (thus generally restricted to syllable codas) or inherit it from
Proto-Austronesian or something.

matt